Yoga can cure almost any disease under the sky. In fact, it would be fair to say that you can stay free from all diseases if you practice Yoga asanas regularly. If you have developed any disease, the natural cure for that ailment might be there in Yoga. After all, Yoga is the collective wisdom of ages and encompasses a system of cure without modern medicines.
If you are a person who avoids popping pills for almost everything, then you must try this alternative natural care of Yoga. It doesn’t need you to pay regular visits to your doctors and physicians, nor does it require you to avail any medicinal facilities like injections, medicines etc. You just need a Yoga mat, a silent atmosphere, and a devoted mind to cure almost every health problem.
Yoga Therapies for Common Illness
We value you and thus have brought for you the Yoga therapies for the most common health issues which people are facing these days.
The only sustainable cure for asthma lies in Yoga. Inhalers can save your life whenever you get an asthma attack but for the long run, you need to practice pranayama and analog-vilom to get rid of this problem. Your control over asthma will let you choose how much you enjoy your life. With a potent shield like yoga, you can experience life in its totality and be carefree.
Below is the list of breathing techniques which will help you counter asthma effectively:
(a) Simple Breathing Techniques: Nadi Shodhan pranayama (Alternate nostril breathing technique)
• Begin with this pranayama (breathing technique) to calm your mind and relieving the body of accumulated stress.
• This breathing technique has a healing effect on many respiratory and circulatory problems.
(b) Kapal Bhati pranayama (Skull shining breathing technique)
• This breathing technique relaxes the mind and energizes the nervous system.
• It also clears all the nadis (energy channels) and improves blood circulation
(c) Ardha Matsyendrasana (Sitting half spinal twist)
• The Sitting half spinal twist opens the chest and improves the supply of oxygen to the lungs, thereby reducing the probability of asthma restricting you.
(d) Pavanamuktasana (Wind-relieving pose)
• This pose is good for people with asthma as it massages the abdominal organs and helps in digestion and release of gas.
Diabetes is one of the most incurable diseases in the world. You cannot really cure insulin resistance but some Yoga exercises can be helpful to control your blood sugar levels. The major benefits of a Yoga practice include:
• Keeping one healthy and preventing from getting diabetes
• Preventing a person of pre-diabetic from progressing to Type 2 Diabetes
• Helping a diabetic from developing further into a complicated disease
Few asanas to tackle diabetes better are mentioned below:
(a) Supta Matsyendrasana (Lying-down body twist)
• The Lying-down body twist massages the internal organs and improves digestion.
• This posture also exerts pressure on the abdominal organs and is hence very helpful yoga posture for people suffering from diabetes.
(b) Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
• The Bow pose strengthens and regulates the pancreas and is highly recommended for people with diabetes.
• This yoga pose also strengthens the abdominal muscles and is a good stress and fatigue buster.
(c) Paschimottanasana (Seated forward bend)
• The Two-legged forward bend massages and tones the abdominal and pelvic organs, and helps people suffering from diabetes.
• This yoga posture helps balance the prana in the body and also calms the mind.
Indigestion is not just a disease but an epidemic among working people these days. However, you can cure indigestion with Yoga by trying the child pose or wind relieving pose. The practice of asana and kriyas every morning helps to empty out the bowels. Yoga has developed many postures and cleansing techniques for purification of the physical body. Through these simple techniques, one is aided in natural elimination of the waste and the mental complaints are relieved.
(a) Vajrasana, Diamond Pose
• Vajrasana is a simple yoga exercise which can be practiced after lunch or dinner by just sitting on the ground like shown in image for 15 – 20 minutes. It is also known as diamond pose.
• Vajrasana is one of the best yoga poses for constipation and indigestion which can be done immediately after having your meal.
• Good for curing acidity and indigestion.
(b) Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
• Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose) is effective and beneficial for improving the function of digestion.
• This yoga pose strengthens the abdominal muscles, clean digestive tract and cures constipation and indigestion problems naturally.
(c) Halasana (Plough Pose)
• Halasana is known as Plough pose which strengthens the back muscles and gives flexibility.
• It cures indigestion and constipation as well as reduces stress.
• It also stimulates the abdominal organs and digestion problems.
Migraine is commonly known as a one-sided headache. It is a form of a vascular headache caused by vasodilatation (enlargement of blood vessels) that gives rise to a release of chemicals from nerve fibers that coil around the large arteries of the brain. Enlargement of these blood vessels stretches the nerves that coil around them and causes the nerves to release chemicals. The chemicals cause inflammation, pain, and further enlargement of the artery. The increasing enlargement of the arteries magnifies the pain.
Yoga is one of the best remedies to treat and prevent migraine. Progressive muscle relaxation, meditation, and Yoga can make a big difference in our lifestyles to tackle and prevent the attack. The practice of asanas can give the ultimate relaxation to the body and rest to the mind. Regular practice of Asanas reduces stress, prevent migraines and reduce medications.
(a) Hastapadasana (Standing Forward Bend)
• The Standing Forward bend invigorates the nervous system by increasing blood supply and also calms the mind.
(b) Setu Bandhasana (Bridge Pose)
• The Bridge pose calms the brain and reduces anxiety.
(c) Shishuasana (Child pose)
• The Child pose calms down the nervous system and effectively reduces the pain.
(d) Marjariasana (Cat stretch)
• The Cat stretch improves blood circulation and also relaxes the mind.
Arthritis is a disease that causes severe joint pain and unfortunately incurable. If neglected, it could affect the sufferer significantly, if not now, in future. But yoga can help control the amount of pain caused due to arthritis. It is the best to overcome Arthritis. As asanas are gentle in nature, they generate physiological and psychological benefits for the sufferer. Some simple physical movement to the joints can improve blood circulation and increase the range of mobility in the area.
(a) Veerbhadrasana or Warrior Pose
• Strengthens the arms, legs and lower back.
• Is extremely beneficial for frozen shoulders.
(b) Vrikshasana or Tree Pose
• Strengthens the legs and back.
• Improves balance.
(c) Trikonasana or Triangle pose
• Very effective for back pain and sciatica.
• Stretches and strengthens the spine, arms, and chest.
• Improves physical equilibrium.
It is not unusual that sometimes we are under the weather – feeling low and either unwilling or feeling demoralized to do anything. Some experience this feeling intensely over a relatively long period – weeks, months or even years – and without any apparent reasons either. Stress can be a major factor in depression. Yoga helps in uplifting one’s mood and relieves stress. In yoga therapy for depression, one learns to stabilize and manage the mood. If you don’t want to be dependent on anti-depressants and sleeping pills, try yoga remedies mentioned below:
(a) Practice the following Yoga Asanas and relieve your stress of mind
• Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
• Matsyasana (Fish Pose)
• Janu Shirsasana (One-Legged Forward Bend)
• Setubandhasana (Bridge Pose)
(b) Breathe right with pranayama to relieve anxiety
• Taking your attention to the breath can help free the mind of the unnecessary clutter of thoughts that breed anxiety.
• Kapal Bhati Pranayama (Skull-Shining Breathing Technique), Bhastrika Pranayama, Nadi Shodhan Pranayama (Alternate Nostril Breathing) is effective in releasing stress from the system (where the exhalation is longer than the inhalation)
(c) Meditate to enjoy the gift of a relaxed mind
• Meditation is an excellent technique to relax a distracted mind, give you a sense of calm and peace, and also observe with daily practice how your mind works to keep you involved in small, petty things around.
• It also helps you not worry too much or get anxious about the unknown future.
7. PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovaries)
PCOS is one of the epidemics that is attacking young women these days. The symptoms are irregular periods and it can even lead to infertility. The science of yoga works at levels much more subtle and deeper than just the physical body level. Yoga helps release deeply stored stress in the system, which can help improve PCOS symptoms.
Yoga Asanas (Yoga postures) designed for PCOS help open up the pelvic area and promote relaxation and pranayamas (breathing exercises) are powerful techniques that help calm the mind.
(a) Butterfly Pose
• Butterfly Pose can be very helpful in PCOS.
• Don’t flap your legs too much; instead, try holding the posture for long.
(b) Supta Badhakonasana
• This works just like the Butterfly Pose, this time lying down. This is what makes it extremely relaxing.
• To enhance the experience, play some soft music and place cushions under your hip. For beginners, it is a good idea to use cushion support while doing this posture.
(c) Chakki Chalanasana
• Chakki Chalanasana (moving the grinding wheel) is a very simple exercise with several benefits.
• It helps massage the liver, kidneys, pancreas, uterus and the reproductive organs.
(d) Shavasana (Corpse Pose)
• Corpse Pose is another useful posture to try for PCOS patients.
• In PCOS, the more you relax, the better you feel and this posture will help you completely relax at the end of your yoga session.
Yoga therapy is most commonly used to manage a broad range of chronic disease conditions. Chronic conditions are those that are long-lasting and that do not heal quickly or of their own accord. It is sometimes used as an adjunct to modern medical treatment and in some cases can be the primary therapeutic modality. Yoga therapy has been found to be effective in the treatment and management of many diseases, just give it a try to see the difference.
Visit these top Yoga related websites for information on a wide variety of topics.
Yoga: Its Origin, History and Development
The Science behind Yoga
How to Improve Mind Body Connection with Yoga
Make sure to check out our health, fitness and personal development related free learning guides and quality digital products.