We are all guilty of chasing pleasure and happiness where we know we won’t really find it. We seek comfort in material items, we indulge our appetites and pursue pleasure in every form. We become consumed by superficial interests that bring us no joy. Which brings us to the old saying – you shouldn’t chase what you don’t really want to catch.
We should question how we spend our time, we shouldn’t be afraid to analyze our priorities and understand what we waste our time chasing and why. More importantly, we should take time out to determine what we really want to chase and catch.
When you put your mind to it, there is nothing that can stop you from achieving what you want in life. The sky is the limit, so don’t be afraid to chase what you crave. Think of it like this – wouldn’t you risk a handful of superficial relationships if it meant finding true love? Wouldn’t you choose a life filled with purpose and meaning (and thus happiness) rather than choosing the easy way? Failure to fulfill your potential is like letting a houseplant wither and die from underwatering.
When you reach the end of your life, you shouldn’t regret what you never did, but if you don’t know what you want… it can be difficult to chase it. Use these tips to determine what you want from life and when you know – chase it until it’s yours.
• Be Selfish – How can you pinpoint what you want to chase when you spend all of your time sacrificing for everyone else? We all come to a point where we realize we have to put ourselves first. So, ask yourself this – if you weren’t tied to a job, your family or your friends or anything else… where would you be and what would you be doing?
• Live A Life Without Regret – When you decide it’s time to be selfish, you don’t need to feel bad about it. We all need to be selfish at some point because when we are we find our true purpose, and this allows us to tap into our inner contentment, which naturally improves us as people and it has a knock-on effect to everyone else in your life. You can’t live in the past, you must let go of regrets and move forward.
• Determine Your Needs – It isn’t always easy to determine your needs. So, sit down and really think about your priorities. Are you desperate for love or financial security? Is it freedom of expression or family? Or is it something else you need? No matter what it is, you can help yourself by creating a list of priorities and considering what type of legacy you’d like to leave behind.
• What Are your Pet Peeves – It isn’t just about pet peeves, but really about what makes you mad in life. So, don’t just write your job off as something you hate, be more specific about what aspects of it you hate. Is it the job title? Is it your salary? Is it your boss? How can you fix it?
• What Makes You Happy – You’re not wasting your life if you’re leading a happy one – so consider what in life brings you happiness. Is it spending time with your family or traveling? Is it running a business or being with your partner? Pinpointing that will help you decide what you want to chase.
• Spread The Word – Shout it from the rooftops – there’s more accountability when you tell everyone what dream you plan on chasing. You’ll also find support.
• Stay Positive – Life doesn’t always unfold as we envision it, don’t allow obstacles to throw you off track. Don’t freak out, be flexible and more importantly – stay positive.
Make sure to check out our health, fitness and personal development related free learning guides and quality digital products.